The Permanent Mission of Switzerland to the UN in NY is currently offering a full-time internship for a duration of 12 months, starting on 1 April 2023. The remuneration for this position is USD 3,400 per month (gross salary).
As an intern, you will gather firsthand working experience at the Permanent Mission of Switzerland to the United Nations. You will work closely with our diplomatic staff and gain invaluable insights into the workings and dynamics of the organization and member states at one of the largest Swiss representations abroad. You will be in regular exchange with UN diplomats, academia and civil society organizations. Covering management and budget aspects of the work of the General Assembly as well as selected topics discussed in the Security Council, you will participate actively in meetings and negotiations and, following a trial period, work independently on attributed tasks.
We are looking for a highly motivated individual who is flexible, resilient, can work under pressure, and is capable of interconnected thinking.
The candidate should possess the following general qualifications:
- University studies in law, economics, business administration, finance, politics or international relations
- Ability to quickly grasp new concepts and get familiar with new topics
- Strong analytical skills
- High trustworthiness and reliability
- Strong interest and knowledge of current political and geopolitical affairs
- High social competences, networking skills, enjoyment of intercultural exchanges
- Excellent communication skills
- Familiarity with the work of the UN is an advantage
The intern’s tasks will include:
- Gathering information, preparing analyses and drafting reports on various issues related the governance, organization as well as the budget of the UN.
- Support for selected topics (e.g. sanctions, counterterrorism), in view of Switzerland’s non-permanent seat in the Security Council for 2023-2024
- Representing the Permanent Mission of Switzerland at formal and informal meetings of the UN, other Missions and NGOs
- Contributing to the drafting of formal Swiss interventions or communication elements (including for social media)
- Supporting the organization of events and meetings by the Permanent Mission of Switzerland
- Performing administrative support tasks as required
In order to qualify for an internship, candidates must:
- Be of Swiss nationality
- Possess excellent written and spoken communication skills in English
- Speak and write fluently French, German or Italian, with passive knowledge of at least one other official language
- Have graduated (bachelor or master) not more than one year before beginning of the internship
More details on the requirements are available here.
Please apply by e-mail only and send all documents in PDF format only. Please write "5C internship – [Name]" in the subject line of your email to ensure prompt processing of your application.
Pre-selected applicants will be contacted within approx. one week after the application deadline and receive confirmation approx. 2 weeks after the application deadline. The selection process includes a short set of tests.
Applications (in English) must include:
- Letter of motivation
- Curriculum vitae
- Copy of university diplomas or reports
- Copy of final grades and intermediate reports
- Letter(s) of recommendation
We will not engage in any correspondence during the selection process. Applications for internships should be sent to: email@example.com.
Application deadline is: Sunday, 12 February 2023