The British Embassy in Berne is part of a world-wide network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas and is now looking for a Communications Intern.
We are offering a six-month internship in our Communications & Politics Team. The team works on a wide array of issues from media relations and domestic policy to special events and digital outreach. We are offering you the opportunity to be part of a friendly working environment, where you can take responsibility for your own projects while learning about the world of diplomacy.
We are looking for a dynamic, creative and proactive individual. Graduates in communications, journalism, public diplomacy, public relations, graphic design or a relevant degree can gain valuable real-world experience in their fields though this internship.
Main Duties and responsibilities
The successful candidate will work closely with our Public Diplomacy Officer to positively influence thinking and perceptions of the UK in Switzerland and Liechtenstein, and to help policy officers in the Embassy and in the UK Government better understand Switzerland and Liechtenstein. This will include:
- Communications and Social Media: Respond to requests for information from members of the public. Manage the Embassy’s social media accounts. Create innovative and interesting content for the Embassy’s communications;
- Media Monitoring and Engagement: Monitor media outlets in Switzerland and Liechtenstein and prepare daily summaries, analyses and briefings. Assist in evaluating embassy communications based on social media engagement and media coverage;
- Events Co-ordination: Support the organisation of Embassy events.
- Fluent written and spoken English and German (minimum level required C1 for English Language and German language under the CEFRL or equivalent *);
- Graduate in Communications, Journalism, Public Diplomacy, Public Relations, Graphic Design or a relevant degree;
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written);
- Experience in supporting marketing/communications and event organisation;
- Experience in designing and creating communications and promotional materials;
- Ability to work to tight deadlines and multi-task effectively.
- Experience in designing visuals for social media and producing videos;
- Experience with research and written reports;
- Interest in domestic politics;
- Familiarity with UK culture.
- Fluent written and spoken French (minimum level required C1 for French language under the CEFRL or equivalent *);
Link to job posting on website.