The Permanent Mission of Switzerland to the UN in NY is currently offering a full-time internship for a duration of 6 months with the possibility to extend for another 6 months (total of 12 months), starting on 1 February 2024. The remuneration for this position is USD 3,400 per month (gross salary).
As an intern, you will gather firsthand working experience at the Permanent Mission of Switzerland to the United Nations during Switzerland’s first ever two-year term on the Security Council. You will work closely with our diplomatic staff and gain invaluable insights into the workings and dynamics of the organization and member states at one of the largest Swiss representations abroad. You will be in regular exchange with UN diplomats, academia and civil society organizations. Covering counter-terrorism and sanctions aspects of the work of the main UN bodies (General Assembly, Security Council) you will participate actively in meetings and negotiations, and events and, following a trial period, work independently on attributed tasks.
We are looking for a highly motivated individual who is flexible, resilient, can work under pressure, and is capable of interconnected thinking.
The candidate should possess the following general qualifications:
- Master’s degree preferably in the fields of international relations, international law, political science and/or terrorism studies
- Ability to quickly grasp new concepts and get familiar with new topics
- Strong interest and knowledge of current political and geopolitical affairs, including from a legal perspective
- Strong writing and analytical skills
- Organizational skills for planning and attending functions and events
- High trustworthiness and reliability
- High social competences, networking skills, enjoyment of intercultural exchanges with UN colleagues
- Excellent communication skills
- Familiarity with the work of the UN is an advantage
The intern’s tasks will include:
- Gathering information, preparing analyses and drafting meeting reports in the following areas Gathering information, drafting reports and supporting expert diplomats in negotiations on counter-terrorism and UN Security Council sanctions
- Advising on UN organs’ practices, procedures and working methods, especially in consideration of Switzerland’s non-permanent seat in the Security Council for 2023-2024
- Representing the Permanent Mission of Switzerland at formal and informal meetings of the UN, other Missions and NGOs
- Contributing to the drafting of formal Swiss interventions, background notes or communication elements (including for social media)
- Supporting the organization of events and meetings by the Permanent Mission of Switzerland
- Performing administrative support tasks as required
In order to qualify for an internship, candidates must:
- Be of Swiss nationality, or be a non-Swiss citizen with a valid work permit for Switzerland for the period of the internship;
- Possess excellent written and spoken communication skills in English;
- Speak and write fluently French, German or Italian, with passive knowledge of at least one other official language;
- Have graduated not more than one year before the beginning of the internship
More details on the requirements are available here.
Please apply by e-mail only and send all documents in one single PDF document. In order to process your application in a timely manner, please write in the email subject line “LAST NAME First Name - Counter-Terrorism and Sanctions Internship" – example: MUSTERMANN Erika - Counter-Terrorism and Sanctions Internship.
We will not engage in any correspondence during the selection process.
Applications (in English) must include:
- Cover page of your application package with the following information:
- Language knowledge in English, German, French and any other language (using the codes “Native” / “Fluent” / “Intermediate” / “Basic”)
- Degrees including graduation date or expected graduation date
- Letter of motivation (max. 1 page)
- Curriculum vitae
- Copy of university diplomas or reports
- Copy of final grades and intermediate reports
- Work certificate(s)
- Letter(s) of recommendation
Please send your application package to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Application deadline is: Sunday, 26 November 2023