The UNHCR Office for Switzerland and Liechtenstein offers an attractive internship with the legal/protection unit. The Office acts as a country office for Switzerland and Liechtenstein. We work closely with the Swiss authorities, non-governmental organisations (NGOs) and other relevant actors in Switzerland and Liechtenstein for the protection of asylum seekers, refugees and stateless people. We also seek to support governments to find durable solutions for refugees.
• Support in individual cases management and answer questions from refugees.
• Conduct legal and factual research and collect information on a wide range of protection topics.
• Analyse the situation of asylum seekers, refugees and stateless persons in Switzerland and
• Support the drafting of reports, briefing notes and background papers on matters relevant to UNHCR protection activities in Switzerland and Liechtenstein.
• Provide ad hoc support in organizing trainings and workshops.
• Translate documents and correspondence.
• Perform other tasks as required.
In order to be considered eligible for an internship, the following criteria must be fulfilled:
• Be a recent graduate or current student in a graduate/undergraduate school programme from a university or higher education facility accredited by UNESCO.
• Have completed at least two years of undergraduate studies in a field of law, political science or related studies and a particular interest in refugee protection and human rights.
• Practical experience in / good knowledge of the Swiss asylum and international refugee law.
• Excellent knowledge of English, as well as French or German, and good knowledge of the other language.
• Research experience and strong drafting skills.
What makes this position attractive
Our interns are part of a small but dynamic team and benefit from individual supervision. They are involved in day to day tasks, but are also entrusted with specific longer and shorter term projects. It is important for us that interns profit from the given tasks and learn more about UNHCR’s mandate and activities. There is also the possibility of partial home-office arrangements.
Interns receive an allowance of 2707 CHF/month. They are expected to make their own arrangements for travel, visa, accommodation and living expenses during the internship period. Please be aware that this internship does not carry any expectation or entitlement to employment with UNHCR at the conclusion of the internship or at any time thereafter.
Please apply through our careers page: https://unhcr.wd3.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/External/job/Protection-Legal-intern_JR2329846. The deadline for application is 30 November 2023. The successful candidate would ideally start in February 2024.
We look forward to your application