The Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute (Swiss TPH) is a world-leading institute in global health with a particular focus on low- and middle-income countries. Associated with the University of Basel, Swiss TPH combines research, services, and education and training at the local, national and international level. About 850 people from more than 80 nations work at Swiss TPH focusing on infectious and non-communicable diseases, environment, society and health as well as health systems and interventions.
To support our efforts in the area of health systems research in Switzerland, we are looking for
PhD Position in Health Systems Research
The thesis shall qualitatively and quantitatively investigate the quality of health care provision in Switzerland as well as inter-professional collaborations for handling mental health conditions.
The studentship is embedded in the Swiss Learning Health System (SLHS) a collaborative project between ten academic partner institutions (Universities of Basel, Lucerne, Lugano, Neuchatel, St. Gallen and Zurich, Bern University of Applied Sciences, University of Applied Sciences and Arts of Southern Switzerland, Zurich University of Applied Sciences and Unisanté Lausanne). The SLHS aims to build scientific capacity and bridge research, policy and practice by means of structured dialogues between different stakeholders. This is intended to foster the development and continuous integration of research-based solutions to current and future challenges in the health system.
To best fit into our international team and to meet the requirements of the PhD position, we expect the following qualifications:
- Master degree level in epidemiology, public health, psychology or health service management, medicine or a similar field
- Knowledge on quantitative and qualitative evaluation methods and/or knowledge translation approaches
- Strong communication skills in German and English (written and verbal). French is an asset.
- Strong spirit of team work and external partners, and initiative
- Willingness to travel within Switzerland
- Besides an interest in applied implementation research, ideally the candidate has experience and a publication track record on issues pertaining to health systems strengthening.
We offer an exciting position on a topic with high public health relevance, in an interesting, multi-stakeholder project and exposure to practical Swiss public health and public health actors. Swiss TPH is an equal opportunity employer committed to excellence through diversity. Remuneration: According to the PhD stipend scheme of the Swiss National Science Foundation.
Please submit your application online via the link provided below:
If you are interested, please address your application consisting of:
- Motivational letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Already available reference letters and diploma
- Names and contact information (email or phone) of 2 references (will be only contacted if candidate is short-listed)
Please note that we can only accept applications via our online recruiting tool: https://recruitingapp-2698.umantis.com/Jobs/All. Applications via e-mail or external recruiter will not be considered.
The deadline for applications is 8 February 2021.
For further information, please contact Prof. Kaspar Wyss; Kaspar.firstname.lastname@example.org
Start Date: We are looking to have the successful candidate in place immediately or upon agreement
Location: Basel at Swiss TPH – an institute associated with University of Basel, Switzerland. The PhD student will need to register at the level of the University of Basel.
Duration: initially for 3 years